Slender Fragile Fern (Mackay's Brittle Fern)
Slender fragile fern is very similar to fragile fern; until recently, they were considered to be varieties of the same species.
- Synonyms: Cystopteris fragilis var. mackayi G. Lawson
- Family: cliff fern (Woodsiaceae)
- Habitat: shaded rocky areas, occasionally on the forest floor
- Height: fronds 6-14 inches long
- Location of spores: undersides of leaflets
- Petiole (leaf stalk): Slender, smooth with a few scales near base. Dark brown or black at base, becoming yellow or green above.
- Growth pattern: asymmetric clump
- Persistence: deciduous
- Origin: native
A frond of slender fragile fern.
Underside of a frond, showing the sori (spore-bearing structures).