Gallery of Connecticut Wildflowers
Descriptive information on our gallery pages comes from the following sources:
"The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers, Eastern Region," William A. Niering and Nancy C. Olmstead.
Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 1979.
- "A Field Guide to Wildflowers: Northeastern and North-central North America," Roger Tory Peterson and Margaret McKenny.
Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1968.
- "Newcomb's Wildflower Guide," Lawrence Newcomb. Little, Brown and Company, Boston, 1977.
- "An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada," Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. Dover Publications,
New York, 1970.
- "Manual of Vascular Plants of Northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada," Henry A. Gleason and Arthur Cronquist. The New York Botanical Garden,
Bronx, New York, 2nd edition, 1991.
- "Flora of the Northeast: a Manual of the Vascular Flora of New England and Adjacent New York," Dennis Magee and Harry E. Ahles.
University of Massachusetts Press, Amherst, 1999.
- "Flora of North America North of Mexico," Flora of North America Editorial Committee, eds. New York and Oxford, 1993+.
- "The Native Orchids of the United States and Canada, Excluding Florida," Carlyle A. Luer.
The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, New York, 1975.
- "Orchids of the Northeast: a Field Guide," William K. Chapman. Syracuse University Press, Syracuse, New York, 1997.
- "Preliminary Checklist of the Vascular Flora of Connecticut," Joseph J. Dowhan. Department of Environmental Protection,
Hartford, Connecticut, 1979.
- "The American Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants,"
Christopher Brickell and Judith D. Zuk, Editors. DK Publishing, New York, 1997.
Our authority on scientific names is
The PLANTS database (USDA, NRCS 1999. National Plant Data
Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490 USA). The exception is the yellow lady's-slippers, all of which we classify as
Cypripedium parviflorum, following the treatment in "Flora of North America."
Gallery Index -- complete list of plants in the gallery
Connecticut Botanical Society home